Sunday, 7 December 2014

There's a void in our hearts.

Sometimes I wonder if I were to remain sitting in this corner,
If I were to watch the world pass by like I didn’t exist,
Would you see me there on the edge of that abyss?
And if I were to get up and step closer to the darkness and further from the city lights,
Would you move closer to stop me?
Or take my shaking hand and join me?

We dance together by the edge,
Dreading the fate that looms over our sun-starved heads,
It feels like we thrive in the darkness,
Like there are no rules grounding us,
But the floor beneath me is turning black,
The floorboards are disappearing,
And it’s almost funny how we fall between the cracks –
Only just realising at that very last moment how much we want to live.

So we grab onto the light,
We let it scorch our skin as we drag our broken bodies up,
The people in the light scorn our scars,
Our broken sore skin,
They are afraid of the darkness in our hearts
As if it could jump out and feed on their souls like it does ours,
But keep that smile on your face no matter how bitter it might taste,
For sweet release will come soon
And we will walk through those burning embers together,
One foot in front of the other;

I swear we’ll make it this time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be polite.