I pause and I look out into the mass of darkness that
hovers over the sea,
I wait for you in silence,
My hand tapping out words into the phone that rests
there,
I jingle my pockets
I awkwardly avoid looking at the far too engaged in each
other couple.
I turn back to the sea.
There’s drunken laughter somewhere behind me,
I flinch as they walk by,
My hands clench around the cold metal bar that acts as a
barrier to the sea
I feel strange inside as their voices become the wind
The giddy feeling inside of my chest has begun to melt
into something far more foreign.
I hear the door open and shut.
And finally I see a familiar face in the mist
A smile claims my face for a moment,
How can it not?
I’m happy… no I’m giddy,
Giddy with relief.
Giddy with the cease of the buzzing in my head.
I feel a glimmer strike my chest.
We walk in tandem,
Our footsteps heavy like a soldier’s gun,
We talk in tandem,
Like a thousand worlds full of words are resting on our
shoulders,
Our silence comforting in a way as we crunch our way over
the sand and pebbles,
The ocean speaks for us in its pattering waves.
And then?
And then we breathe,
We drag in the fiery air and let it find its home in our hushed
lungs,
We are free
Like the sand beneath my feet we are free
Our bodies like black holes for all the world to see
But they don’t.
They leave us be.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Please be polite.