Wednesday, 19 November 2014

Lullaby

I whisper a lullaby into the night,
I let it leave my lips like a breath of air,
I pray to some unknown deity that it reaches the cusp of your ear,
And I wait.

My head pounds and my heart throbs,
I write down words of love and kindness
I write down the words you deserve
And I wait.

Legs crossed and arms folded
I survey the damage you’ve done to yourself,
And I feel agony that I’ve never sensed before enter my heart and stop at the doors to my soul,
And I wait.

I survive through pure will alone,
And I wonder as I dust myself off and brush my fingers over tender cuts,
Did you hear my whispers travelling on the wind?
Or must I wait more for you to feel loved again?

I hollow out my cheeks and breathe in your memory,
Because I know you’ll be a memory now
A good memory that ends so brutally but a memory all the same,

No question this time, I’ll wait, I’ll wait. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be polite.